Our middle school assembly begins by covering the basics of schoolyard bullying and cyberbullying. We discuss what bullying is (and what it is not), so that students can identify and report it to proper authorities if necessary. We also empower them by giving them tools they can use if they are being mistreated or see it happening to someone else. We highlight a few of the daily digital dramas that can erupt on Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, Snapchat, TikTok, and other sites, and describe how best to address them. We introduce the importance of developing a positive online reputation and the need for students to “pause before they post.” Finally, we seek to equip and empower youth to spearhead creative initiatives at their school, in their cities, or on the Internet to promote positive interactions and behaviors, online and offline. We truly want to inspire students to develop and carry-out innovative ideas to prevent their peers from misusing technology, but also to make kindness go viral in their communities. We utilize an interactive PowerPoint presentation with real-world examples, anonymous flash polling, and video clips and seek to keep students engaged through a high-energy speaking approach.
Key issues discussed: bullying; cyberbullying; responsible social media usage; online integrity; promoting positivity online
This presentation will help middle school (grade 6-8) students:
• Learn how bullying and cyberbullying can occur and what to do about it
• Understand the emotions that are felt when one is victimized
• Consider relatable and true-story examples
• Understand how who you “friend” and “follow” on social media and similar sites is a reflection of you
• See how easy it is to track individuals because of their digital footprint
• Understand how ill-advised postings have led to denied opportunities for many young people
• Discover how best to lock down one’s profile page and develop a positive reputation in cyberspace
• Be inspired by other students who are positively changing their school and community by promoting the responsible use of technology
Here are numerous testimonials from schools and other organizations with whom we have worked.
Contact us today to schedule our visit to your school, or if you have any questions!