S.F. 61, 2007 Code §280.28 Harassment and Bullying Prohibited; https://www.legis.iowa.gov/docs/code/2021/280.28.pdf
- “Harassment” and “bullying” shall be construed to mean any electronic, written, verbal, or physical act or conduct toward a student which is based on any actual or perceived trait or characteristic of the student and which creates an objectively hostile school environment that meets one or more of the following conditions:
(1) Places the student in reasonable fear of harm to the student’s person or property.
(2) Has a substantially detrimental effect on the student’s physical or mental health.
(3) Has the effect of substantially interfering with a student’s academic performance.
(4) Has the effect of substantially interfering with the student’s ability to participate in or benefit from the services, activities, or privileges provided by a school.
“On or before September 1, 2007, the board of directors of a school district and the authorities in charge of each accredited nonpublic school shall adopt a policy declaring harassment and bullying in schools, on school property, and at any school function, or school-sponsored activity regardless of its location, in a manner consistent with this section, as against state and school policy.”
Criminal harassment statute (708.7) includes electronic forms: “A person commits harassment when, with intent to intimidate, annoy, or alarm another person, the person does any of the following: (1) Communicates with another by telephone, telegraph, writing, or via electronic communication without legitimate purpose and in a manner likely to cause the other person annoyance or harm.”
Proposed bill would require schools to create bullying prevention programs (summer 2016): https://legiscan.com/IA/text/SF345/2015